You can’t go past a quick and easy Spag Bol (Spaghetti Bolognese) when you’re not sure what else to make.
Here is my version:
Mince of your preference (I go for premium low fat beef mince or sometimes a mix of beef and pork mince)
100g diced pancetta or bacon
1 Onion, chopped/diced
1 Large or 2 small carrots, grated
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 sachet of tomato paste
½ cup of red wine/Rose
1 clove garlic, chopped
A few bay leaves
1-2 tablespoons Italian dried herbs
Handful of mushrooms, sliced
Good Italian spaghetti – fresh or dried
- Saute the onion, garlic and pancetta until lightly browned.
- Add the mince, grated carrot and seasoning and cook until mince has browned.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, bay leaves, mushrooms and wine and mix thoroughly bringing to a simmer and cook for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer into a casserole dish and set aside.
- Bake in the oven (with lid on) for about an hour.
- Bring a large pot of water (add a little salt) to the boil and cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- You can either combine the spaghetti with the sauce or serve with the sauce spooned on top with grated parmesan cheese to finish it off.