To follow is my recipe for an easy and delicious Baked Lemon Cheesecake that is a real crowd pleaser!
250 g sweet plain biscuits crumbed – I use Gingernuts (well you should know by now I’m a ginger nut! ;P)
125 g butter melted
3 egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 x 250 g cream cheese softened
1 x 150g light ricotta cheese (You can use 3 x 250g cream cheese but I like the combination of ricotta and the cream cheese as it is a little lighter)
3 tsp lemon rind grated
1/4 cup lemon juice or lime juice or as I did this time around a mixture of both!
- Lightly grease a 22 cm springform tin.
- Crumb your biscuits by placing in a bag and bashing with a rolling pin (great to relieve tension!) or by crumbing in the electric processor (since I have a relatively new gadget I love any excuse to get it out and give it a whirl!)
- Combine biscuit crumbs and the butter that you’ve melted in a bowl.
- Using a glass, press crumb mixture evenly over base and side of tin.
- Refrigerate biscuit crust for 1 hour.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and thick. (NOTE: Be patient with beating the eggs and sugar, as the mixture becomes more pale, the lighter textured the cheesecake will be this may take 10 minutes or more of beating.
- Add cheese, rind and lemon juice. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in moderate oven for about 45 minutes. I baked the cheesecake at 150C in a fan-forced electric oven.
- Cool in oven with door ajar, then refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Decorate with cream and your favourite seasonal fruit, chocolate or, as I did this time, with chopped crystallised ginger.
(NOTE: Any chance I can get to add ginger to a recipe I will thus the reason I used Gingernut biscuits and topped with ginger – in fact I could’ve thrown a handful of the chopped ginger into the cream-cheese mixture too – perhaps next time!)